Skip to main content

Xbox PC Game Pass grants you instant access to over 100 PC games — here's what I like about the service

Prices are accurate at the time of publication.

sarah playing katamari reroll on xbox game pass

When you buy through our links, Insider may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.

  • Xbox PC Game Pass lets you play more than 100 PC games on-demand for only $10 a month. 
  • My friends recently convinced me to subscribe, and I've already clocked over 50 gameplay hours. 
  • It's worth the price if you're a PC gamer, especially if you like any of the service's library.

I spend most of my nights playing games with friends online on my PC. Usually, Steam is my service of choice, but after much persuasion, I've finally added Xbox Game Pass to my growing list of subscriptions.

If you're unfamiliar with Xbox PC Game Pass, here's how it works: for $10 a month, you get instant access to more than 100 PC games via the Xbox PC app, which is free to download on Windows. It's a rotating library of games, so periodically, some titles leave, while others replace them. There's a wide variety to choose from, including platformers, shooters, sims, and RPGs. 

What I like about Xbox PC Game Pass

sarah playing nuclear throne side by side on pc using xbox game pass
'Nuclear Throne' is an indie game in the Game Pass library that I love, and dozens of hours in.

Xbox PC Game Pass clearly has value for me, a regular PC gamer. For only $10 a month, I get unlimited access to favorites old and new, from "Lumines" to "Two Point Hospital." I've already clocked over 50 gameplay hours in just a month of use, which is more time than I've spent on far more expensive, individual video games. 

Some really enjoyable titles that I would have never paid for individually, I'm now getting to experience as part of my subscription. It takes the risk out of trying new games, since they cost me no extra money to play. 

Another great benefit is that my friends and I can all play online co-op games together since we all have Xbox Game Pass now. Gone are the days of one of us not affording the game — now everyone has access for the same price. "Sea of Thieves," "Gang Beasts," and  "It Takes Two" have joined our regular rotation of games to play as a squad. 

sarah on the katamari menu using xbox game pass
Some games are just better with a controller, like 'Katamari Damacy: Reroll.'

I also really enjoy the added flexibility of Xbox Game Pass on PC, because I can choose to play with a plugged-in controller or my keyboard and mouse. Some games, like "Katamari Reroll" are simply not as fun without a controller, but other games I just can't play without the precision of a mouse. 

What I don't like about Xbox PC Game Pass

nuclear throne store page through xbox app with a 20% game pass membership discount
If I want to buy the game permanently, Game Pass gives me a 20% discount.

My major gripe with the service is that games I really enjoy often leave the Game Pass library. It's sad to see titles leave, especially when I've clocked hours and hours of progress in them. If I'm desperate enough, I can still buy them with a Game Pass discount through the Xbox App, at least. 

(It's also completely possible to not like anything PC Game Pass has to offer. I recommend browsing the available titles before making the monthly commitment, because if you're not at least interested in some of the games, it's not worth buying.)

Xbox PC Game Pass versus Game Pass Ultimate

xbox game pass library sccreencap

Xbox PC Game Pass is more than enough for me, but if you're an Xbox console owner, you may want to consider Game Pass Ultimate for an additional $5 per month. 

Game Pass Ultimate has everything PC Game Pass does and more, including a library of over 100 additional games for Xbox consoles, Xbox Live Gold for online gaming on Xbox devices, console cloud gaming, and extra perks like in-game add-ons. For only $5 more a month than Xbox PC Game Pass, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate extends the service's utility to mobile devices as well through streaming.

My suggestion is to try out the PC version first at $10 per month before you commit $15 a month to get all of the service's benefits.

Originally $29.99 | Save 19%
Originally $29.99 | Save 19%



Read the original article on Business Insider


from Business Insider https://ift.tt/oZqlTNw
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nintendo Switch has been the US’s bestselling console for 23 straight months

Photo by James Bareham / The Verge It’s been a good two years for the Nintendo Switch. According to Nintendo, the gaming tablet has been the bestselling console in the US for 23 straight months. And according to data from the NPD Group, it just had its best October ever, moving 735,926 units of both the Switch and Switch Lite in the US. The company says that represents a 136 percent increase compared to last year. To date, the Switch has sold 22.5 million units in the US, and last week Nintendo revealed that more than 68 million units have been sold globally . “We’re excited about our momentum,” says Nick Chavez, Nintendo of America’s SVP of sales and marketing. Chavez puts the company’s big October down to two main factors. One is a better supply of stock; this year in particular, it’s often been hard to find a Switch on store shelves. This has only been exacerbated by increased demand due to a combination of the pandemic and the breakout success of Animal Crossing: New Horizons . ...

Instagram accidentally reinstated Pornhub’s banned account

After years of on-and-off temporary suspensions, Instagram permanently banned Pornhub’s account in September. Then, for a short period of time this weekend, the account was reinstated. By Tuesday, it was permanently banned again. “This was done in error,” an Instagram spokesperson told TechCrunch. “As we’ve said previously, we permanently disabled this Instagram account for repeatedly violating our policies.” Instagram’s content guidelines prohibit  nudity and sexual solicitation . A Pornhub spokesperson told TechCrunch, though, that they believe the adult streaming platform’s account did not violate any guidelines. Instagram has not commented on the exact reasoning for the ban, or which policies the account violated. It’s worrying from a moderation perspective if a permanently banned Instagram account can accidentally get switched back on. Pornhub told TechCrunch that its account even received a notice from Instagram, stating that its ban had been a mistake (that message itse...

MVP versus EVP: Is it time to introduce ethics into the agile startup model?

Anand Rao Contributor Share on Twitter Anand Rao is global head of AI at PwC . The rocket ship trajectory of a startup is well known: Get an idea, build a team and slap together a minimum viable product (MVP) that you can get in front of users. However, today’s startups need to reconsider the MVP model as artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) become ubiquitous in tech products and the market grows increasingly conscious of the ethical implications of AI augmenting or replacing humans in the decision-making process. An MVP allows you to collect critical feedback from your target market that then informs the minimum development required to launch a product — creating a powerful feedback loop that drives today’s customer-led business. This lean, agile model has been extremely successful over the past two decades — launching thousands of successful startups, some of which have grown into billion-dollar companies. However, building high-performing product...