Skip to main content

The creators of ‘Fortnite’ have pulled a mode that players were super excited for, with no sign of when it's coming back

Fortnite_BR04_Social_Playground

  • "Fortnite: Battle Royale's" newest limited-time mode was taken offline shortly after launch this week, after an influx of players caused the game's matchmaking systems to crash.
  • Developers at Epic Games have said the mode will be brought back online "as soon as possible," but have not provided any estimation for when it will happen.
  • When it eventually comes back online, "Playground Mode" will be the game's first non-competitive practice arena, which will allow players to take a break from the fast-paced battle-royale formula by roaming through the island with up to three of their friends.

"Fortnite: Battle Royale" creators launched the game's first non-competitive mode this week, only to have the influx of players crash the entire game for several hours, forcing them to take the new mode offline indefinitely.

When Epic Games first announced they would be introducing "Playground Mode" early this week, fans and streamers went wild. Essentially serving as the game's practice arena, "Playground" would be a limited-time sandbox-style mode that allows players to take a break from the fast-paced battle-royale formula by roaming through the island with up to three of their friends, without any opponents to shoot at or hide from.

The mode was initially launched Wednesday morning with the game's regular weekly update, but was taken offline by developers at Epic Games shortly afterwards, along with all other Fortnite modes, when the influx of players caused a crash in the game's matchmaking software. While the usual servers were back up and running within a few hours, Playground mode has yet to be restored.

Representatives from the company described the unexpected mishap on Twitter and Reddit Thursday, saying, "So many of you rushed in to create and play that our matchmaking service fell over. We’ve since separated the Playground matchmaker from the one that affects the default modes and made large improvements to assist with the number of players."

Since taking the mode offline, Epic Games has been giving regular updates on their official Twitter account, a reddit thread, and their website, but have offered no prediction for when the mode will be brought back online.

On Friday, Epic posted a tweet saying the mode was still being tested, and that they would be releasing it "as soon as possible."

A handful of streamers and YouTubers were able to record their Playground sessions before the mode was taken offline, so at least we can all watch other people have fun while we wait. 

Here's the official trailer for Playground Mode:

SEE ALSO: Something big is happening in ‘Fortnite’ on Saturday, and you’ll have to be logged on at the exact right time to be a part of it

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: What having a dog does to your brain and body



from Tech Insider https://ift.tt/2tN30Vq
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram accidentally reinstated Pornhub’s banned account

After years of on-and-off temporary suspensions, Instagram permanently banned Pornhub’s account in September. Then, for a short period of time this weekend, the account was reinstated. By Tuesday, it was permanently banned again. “This was done in error,” an Instagram spokesperson told TechCrunch. “As we’ve said previously, we permanently disabled this Instagram account for repeatedly violating our policies.” Instagram’s content guidelines prohibit  nudity and sexual solicitation . A Pornhub spokesperson told TechCrunch, though, that they believe the adult streaming platform’s account did not violate any guidelines. Instagram has not commented on the exact reasoning for the ban, or which policies the account violated. It’s worrying from a moderation perspective if a permanently banned Instagram account can accidentally get switched back on. Pornhub told TechCrunch that its account even received a notice from Instagram, stating that its ban had been a mistake (that message itse...

If only your bike had a trunk. Oh wait, now it does.

Just to let you know, if you buy something featured here, Mashable might earn an affiliate commission. Biking is one of the best ways to get around, especially if you live in a city. It's quick, it's eco-friendly, and you get a bit of exercise.  If you already commute on two wheels or are thinking of starting, there's a storage device you kinda need. SEE ALSO: This bamboo keyboard combo adds a touch of tranquility to your workspace The Buca Boot is a pretty magical two-in-one hybrid: It’s a super secure storage box for your bike that works like the trunk of a car. You can lock your helmet or whatever else in it and leave it safely behind. It’s also a basket—open it up, and you can carry a bouquet of flowers and a baguette like the picturesque cyclist of your dreams.    Read more... More about Storage , Car , Bicycle , Trunk , and Cyclist from Mashable http://ift.tt/2eHNwLB via IFTTT

California Gov. Newsom vetoes bill SB 1047 that aims to prevent AI disasters

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has vetoed bill SB 1047, which aims to prevent bad actors from using AI to cause "critical harm" to humans. The California state assembly passed the legislation by a margin of 41-9 on August 28, but several organizations including the Chamber of Commerce had urged Newsom to veto the bill . In his veto message on Sept. 29, Newsom said the bill is "well-intentioned" but "does not take into account whether an Al system is deployed in high-risk environments, involves critical decision-making or the use of sensitive data. Instead, the bill applies stringent standards to even the most basic functions - so long as a large system deploys it."  SB 1047 would have made the developers of AI models liable for adopting safety protocols that would stop catastrophic uses of their technology. That includes preventive measures such as testing and outside risk assessment, as well as an "emergency stop" that would completely shut down...