Skip to main content

Gov. Greg Abbott prompts swift rebukes after calling Texas mass shooting victims 'illegal immigrants' in a statement offering condolences to their loved ones

Greg Abbott
Governor Greg Abbott speaks at the National Rifle Association-Institute for Legislative Action Leadership Forum in Dallas, Friday, May 4, 2018.
  • Authorities are searching for the shooter who killed 5 people in a Cleveland, Texas, home on Friday.
  • Gov. Greg Abbott announced a reward for information and offered condolences to the victims.
  • But the governor is getting criticized for identifying the victims as "illegal immigrants."

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is getting criticized for identifying the victims of a Friday mass shooting in Cleveland, Texas, as "illegal immigrants" in the same statement in which he offered condolences to their loved ones.

On Friday evening, a drunk man shot and killed five people, including an 8-year-old boy, after the neighbors asked the man to stop firing his AR-15-style weapon in the air, according to San Jacinto County Sheriff Greg Capers.

Abbott released a statement on Sunday offering a $50,000 reward for information regarding the shooter, who authorities say "could be anywhere" by now. The governor also offered condolences to the families, but not before the statement identified the victims as "illegal immigrants."

Police identified the victims as Sonia Argentina Guzman, 25; Diana Velazquez Alvarado, 21; Julisa Molina Rivera, 31; Jose Jonathan Casarez, 18; and Daniel Enrique Laso, 8. Authorities have not publicly disclosed the victims' citizenship status.

"Governor Greg Abbott today announced a $50,000 reward for a Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) top 10 fugitive who is in the country illegally and killed give illegal immigrants in a shooting Friday night in Cleveland, Texas," a statement from Abbott's personal Twitter account said.

Actors, former politicians, and immigration rights organizations quickly denounced Abbott's statement.

"This is despicable. I would have thought bringing up the immigration status of the innocent victims of this senseless violence would be beneath even you. But I was wrong," George Takei, the "Star Trek" actor who lived with his parents in internment camps during World War II, wrote on Twitter.

"Five human beings lost their lives and Greg Abbott insists on labeling them 'illegal immigrants,'" Julián Castro, the former Housing and Urban Development Secretary, said.

The Immigrant Legal Resource Center said Abbott's statement included "dehumanizing anti-immigrant rhetoric."

A San Jacinto County Sheriffs' spokesperson said the agency could not release further information. A spokesperson for Abbott did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read the original article on Business Insider


from Business Insider https://ift.tt/H2wPyZk
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram accidentally reinstated Pornhub’s banned account

After years of on-and-off temporary suspensions, Instagram permanently banned Pornhub’s account in September. Then, for a short period of time this weekend, the account was reinstated. By Tuesday, it was permanently banned again. “This was done in error,” an Instagram spokesperson told TechCrunch. “As we’ve said previously, we permanently disabled this Instagram account for repeatedly violating our policies.” Instagram’s content guidelines prohibit  nudity and sexual solicitation . A Pornhub spokesperson told TechCrunch, though, that they believe the adult streaming platform’s account did not violate any guidelines. Instagram has not commented on the exact reasoning for the ban, or which policies the account violated. It’s worrying from a moderation perspective if a permanently banned Instagram account can accidentally get switched back on. Pornhub told TechCrunch that its account even received a notice from Instagram, stating that its ban had been a mistake (that message itse...

If only your bike had a trunk. Oh wait, now it does.

Just to let you know, if you buy something featured here, Mashable might earn an affiliate commission. Biking is one of the best ways to get around, especially if you live in a city. It's quick, it's eco-friendly, and you get a bit of exercise.  If you already commute on two wheels or are thinking of starting, there's a storage device you kinda need. SEE ALSO: This bamboo keyboard combo adds a touch of tranquility to your workspace The Buca Boot is a pretty magical two-in-one hybrid: It’s a super secure storage box for your bike that works like the trunk of a car. You can lock your helmet or whatever else in it and leave it safely behind. It’s also a basket—open it up, and you can carry a bouquet of flowers and a baguette like the picturesque cyclist of your dreams.    Read more... More about Storage , Car , Bicycle , Trunk , and Cyclist from Mashable http://ift.tt/2eHNwLB via IFTTT

California Gov. Newsom vetoes bill SB 1047 that aims to prevent AI disasters

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has vetoed bill SB 1047, which aims to prevent bad actors from using AI to cause "critical harm" to humans. The California state assembly passed the legislation by a margin of 41-9 on August 28, but several organizations including the Chamber of Commerce had urged Newsom to veto the bill . In his veto message on Sept. 29, Newsom said the bill is "well-intentioned" but "does not take into account whether an Al system is deployed in high-risk environments, involves critical decision-making or the use of sensitive data. Instead, the bill applies stringent standards to even the most basic functions - so long as a large system deploys it."  SB 1047 would have made the developers of AI models liable for adopting safety protocols that would stop catastrophic uses of their technology. That includes preventive measures such as testing and outside risk assessment, as well as an "emergency stop" that would completely shut down...