Skip to main content

Fugees rapper Pras Michel was 'willing to break any laws necessary to get paid' in alleged international fraud scheme, prosecutor said

Pras Michel
Prakazrel “Pras” Michel, center, a member of the 1990s hip-hop group the Fugees, accompanied by defense lawyer David Kenner, right, arrives at federal court for his trial in an alleged campaign finance conspiracy, Thursday, March 30, 2023.
  • The conspiracy and fraud trial of American rapper Pras Michel kicked off on Thursday.
  • Prosecutors alleged that Michel was involved in an international scheme to influence the US government.
  • Michel is accused of working with Malaysian businessman and fugitive Jho Low. 

An award-winning American rapper and producer allegedly involved in an international fraud scheme to influence the US government was "willing to break any laws necessary to get paid," a federal prosecutor said during opening arguments on Thursday, according to several news reports

Pras Michel, a 50-year-old musician best known as a member of the 1990s hip-hop group Fugees, is on trial for several criminal charges, including conspiring to make and conceal foreign campaign contributions and witness tampering.

Michel stands accused of funneling millions of dollars in payments from Malaysian businessman and fugitive Jho Low and covering up the source of that foreign money by using straw donors to contribute to President Barack Obama's 2012 reelection. Federal law prohibits foreign nationals from contributing to US elections.

Prosecutors also allege that Michel and Low, who has been accused of stealing more than $4 billion from his country's sovereign wealth fund, conspired to lobby President Donald Trump's administration in 2017 to drop an investigation into Low's finances and remove a Chinese dissident, Guo Wengui, from the US. Guo was arrested earlier this month on fraud and money-laundering charges.  

In Washington, DC's federal district court, prosecutor Nicole Lockhart told jurors on Thursday that Michel's case is "filled with political intrigue, backroom dealing…burner phones and lies," NBC News reported

"Low had money to burn and the defendant was willing to cash in at any turn," Lockhart said.

Michel has pleaded not guilty. His lawyer, defense attorney David Kenner reserved his opening statement until after prosecutors rest their case, NBC reported. Kenner's previous clients include celebrities like Snoop Dogg and Suge Knight.

The trial, which is expected to last at least a month, could feature high-profile witnesses including Trump's former White House chief of staff John Kelly and former national security advisor H.R. McMaster, casino mogul Steve Wynn,  and actor Leonardo DiCaprio, who starred in the 2013 film "The Wolf Of Wall Street" that Low helped fund. 

If convicted, Michel could face up to 20 years in prison. 

Read the original article on Business Insider


from Business Insider https://ift.tt/cGIeXza
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram accidentally reinstated Pornhub’s banned account

After years of on-and-off temporary suspensions, Instagram permanently banned Pornhub’s account in September. Then, for a short period of time this weekend, the account was reinstated. By Tuesday, it was permanently banned again. “This was done in error,” an Instagram spokesperson told TechCrunch. “As we’ve said previously, we permanently disabled this Instagram account for repeatedly violating our policies.” Instagram’s content guidelines prohibit  nudity and sexual solicitation . A Pornhub spokesperson told TechCrunch, though, that they believe the adult streaming platform’s account did not violate any guidelines. Instagram has not commented on the exact reasoning for the ban, or which policies the account violated. It’s worrying from a moderation perspective if a permanently banned Instagram account can accidentally get switched back on. Pornhub told TechCrunch that its account even received a notice from Instagram, stating that its ban had been a mistake (that message itse...

If only your bike had a trunk. Oh wait, now it does.

Just to let you know, if you buy something featured here, Mashable might earn an affiliate commission. Biking is one of the best ways to get around, especially if you live in a city. It's quick, it's eco-friendly, and you get a bit of exercise.  If you already commute on two wheels or are thinking of starting, there's a storage device you kinda need. SEE ALSO: This bamboo keyboard combo adds a touch of tranquility to your workspace The Buca Boot is a pretty magical two-in-one hybrid: It’s a super secure storage box for your bike that works like the trunk of a car. You can lock your helmet or whatever else in it and leave it safely behind. It’s also a basket—open it up, and you can carry a bouquet of flowers and a baguette like the picturesque cyclist of your dreams.    Read more... More about Storage , Car , Bicycle , Trunk , and Cyclist from Mashable http://ift.tt/2eHNwLB via IFTTT

California Gov. Newsom vetoes bill SB 1047 that aims to prevent AI disasters

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has vetoed bill SB 1047, which aims to prevent bad actors from using AI to cause "critical harm" to humans. The California state assembly passed the legislation by a margin of 41-9 on August 28, but several organizations including the Chamber of Commerce had urged Newsom to veto the bill . In his veto message on Sept. 29, Newsom said the bill is "well-intentioned" but "does not take into account whether an Al system is deployed in high-risk environments, involves critical decision-making or the use of sensitive data. Instead, the bill applies stringent standards to even the most basic functions - so long as a large system deploys it."  SB 1047 would have made the developers of AI models liable for adopting safety protocols that would stop catastrophic uses of their technology. That includes preventive measures such as testing and outside risk assessment, as well as an "emergency stop" that would completely shut down...