Skip to main content

A former Facebook diversity consultant is suing the company for $100 million, accusing it of discrimination (FB)

facebook ceo mark zuckerberg

  • A former diversity consultant for Facebook is suing the company for $100 million.
  • Anastasia Boone Talton alleges she experienced discrimination based on race and disability at the company, as well as harassment.
  • The lawsuit, seen by Business Insider, alleges she was excluded from events and meetings after raising concerns internally.
  • Boone Talton was also allegedly told she was not a "cultural fit" after asking for accommodation for her medical issues.
  • Facebook employees have previously spoken out about allegations of discrimination at the company.
  • Click here for more BI Prime stories.  

A former diversity consultant for Facebook is suing the social networking giant, alleging she was the victim of discrimination based on race and disability as well as harassment.

On March 17, lawyers for Anastasia Boone Talton filed a complaint against Facebook with California's Superior Court of San Mateo, asserting that the recruiter faced illegal behaviour while working for Facebook, court documents seen by Business Insider show.

In a video posted to Facebook, her lawyer Tiega Varlack said that Facebook "merely paid lip-service to its stated goal of diversifying its employees," and that "when Boone Talton complained to management she was shunned" and excluded from meetings and social activities with colleagues.

While the complaint does not provide a specific amount in damages, Varlack says in the video that the lawsuit is seeking $100 million in damages.

The lawsuit has the potential to be a fresh headache for Facebook, which has reeled from successive scandals over the past several years. Like much of the tech industry, Facebook's workforce is not particularly diverse, and though it has made efforts to rectify this in recent years it has also been accused of discrimination by other former employees.

A Facebook spokesperson did not respond to Business Insider's request for comment.

Boone Talton left the consulting firm Price Waterhouse Coopers in 2018 to join Facebook as a senior talent acquisition consultant focusing on diversity and inclusion, and "immediately began experiencing discrimination," the complaint alleges. She reported the issues to HR, the complaint continues, but "nothing changed" and she was subsequently "denied opportunities for career growth and was stifled from completing her job. When she complained management just laughed it off ... [she began to] "suffer mentally and physically from the poisonous atmosphere perpetuated by her employer."

It adds: "There were many other micro and macro aggressive behaviours and she felt that she was targeted by a concerted effort to unfairly terminate her."

Facebook also discriminated against her on the grounds of an unspecified disability, the lawsuit alleges, by refusing to accommodate her requests to help her. "[She] notified [Facebook] on multiple occasions that she was experiencing medical complications," it reads. "Instead of engaging ... to determine how the Company could best accommodate [her], Defendant harassed [her] and told her she was not a 'cultural fit for Facebook,' and provided her zero support from HR and team members."

Boone Talton also filed a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing in late January 2020, the complaint said.

In November 2019, a group of Facebook employees wrote a memo saying they experience ongoing racism and discrimination at the company. "Facebook still has a black people problem. And a problem with individual contributors who are not white," the document read. "On the inside, we are sad. Angry. Oppressed. Depressed. And treated every day through the micro and macro aggressions as if we do not belong here."

It came a year after the publication of a widely read 2,500-word memo by former employee Mark Luckie, who described his own experiences of discrimination at the company. "Facebook's disenfranchisement of black people on the platform mirrors the marginalization of its black employees," he wrote.

Do you work at Facebook? Contact this reporter via encrypted messaging app Signal (+1 650-636-6268), encrypted email (robaeprice@protonmail.com), standard email (rprice@businessinsider.com), Telegram/Wickr/WeChat (robaeprice), or Twitter DM (@robaeprice). Use a non-work device to reach out. We can keep sources anonymous. PR pitches by standard email only, please.

SEE ALSO: A memo circulating inside Google accuses the company of not protecting its army of contract workers from the coronavirus pandemic

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: Jeff Bezos reportedly just spent $165 million on a Beverly Hills estate — here are all the ways the world's richest man makes and spends his money



from Tech Insider https://ift.tt/2UTPXPl
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Instagram accidentally reinstated Pornhub’s banned account

After years of on-and-off temporary suspensions, Instagram permanently banned Pornhub’s account in September. Then, for a short period of time this weekend, the account was reinstated. By Tuesday, it was permanently banned again. “This was done in error,” an Instagram spokesperson told TechCrunch. “As we’ve said previously, we permanently disabled this Instagram account for repeatedly violating our policies.” Instagram’s content guidelines prohibit  nudity and sexual solicitation . A Pornhub spokesperson told TechCrunch, though, that they believe the adult streaming platform’s account did not violate any guidelines. Instagram has not commented on the exact reasoning for the ban, or which policies the account violated. It’s worrying from a moderation perspective if a permanently banned Instagram account can accidentally get switched back on. Pornhub told TechCrunch that its account even received a notice from Instagram, stating that its ban had been a mistake (that message itse...

If only your bike had a trunk. Oh wait, now it does.

Just to let you know, if you buy something featured here, Mashable might earn an affiliate commission. Biking is one of the best ways to get around, especially if you live in a city. It's quick, it's eco-friendly, and you get a bit of exercise.  If you already commute on two wheels or are thinking of starting, there's a storage device you kinda need. SEE ALSO: This bamboo keyboard combo adds a touch of tranquility to your workspace The Buca Boot is a pretty magical two-in-one hybrid: It’s a super secure storage box for your bike that works like the trunk of a car. You can lock your helmet or whatever else in it and leave it safely behind. It’s also a basket—open it up, and you can carry a bouquet of flowers and a baguette like the picturesque cyclist of your dreams.    Read more... More about Storage , Car , Bicycle , Trunk , and Cyclist from Mashable http://ift.tt/2eHNwLB via IFTTT

California Gov. Newsom vetoes bill SB 1047 that aims to prevent AI disasters

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has vetoed bill SB 1047, which aims to prevent bad actors from using AI to cause "critical harm" to humans. The California state assembly passed the legislation by a margin of 41-9 on August 28, but several organizations including the Chamber of Commerce had urged Newsom to veto the bill . In his veto message on Sept. 29, Newsom said the bill is "well-intentioned" but "does not take into account whether an Al system is deployed in high-risk environments, involves critical decision-making or the use of sensitive data. Instead, the bill applies stringent standards to even the most basic functions - so long as a large system deploys it."  SB 1047 would have made the developers of AI models liable for adopting safety protocols that would stop catastrophic uses of their technology. That includes preventive measures such as testing and outside risk assessment, as well as an "emergency stop" that would completely shut down...